Do you have inaccurate account information on your credit report?

If you are having problems related to inaccurate information on your credit report, we recommend that you investigate your credit history thoroughly. The information below may assist you with your efforts. In addition, you should attempt to collect the following information:

  • Copies of all credit reports containing the inaccurate information and any previous credit reports you may possess;
  • Copies of all dispute letters you wrote to the consumer reporting agencies or creditors and any responses you received;
  • Copies of all documents that prove the information you are disputing is indeed inaccurate; and
  • Copies of all documents that prove you have suffered damages as a result of the reporting errors: This includes letters turning you down for credit, notices of interest rate hikes, medical bills for stress-related ailments and other damages.

Dispute errors on your credit report

Step 1: Obtain your free credit reports

Obtaining your credit report is the first step in disputing any inaccurate or wrong information which may appear on it. Federal law requires the three national credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union, to provide you with a free credit report every year. Most likely, each of these credit reporting agencies has a credit file on you. Get all three of your credit reports. Because most public records are no longer displayed on your Equifax, Experian and Trans Union credit files, you should also obtain your public records disclosure report from LexisNexis.

You can get your free credit reports at This is the only official site to help consumers obtain their free credit report. You may contact the credit reporting agencies directly, but consumer beware! These credit reporting agencies own businesses which easily trick the consumer into buying their credit scores rather than providing the consumer with their actual free credit report (legally known as the "consumer report").

Step 2: Initiate dispute with the credit reporting agency

Dispute errors on your credit report by using the FTC's sample complaint letter. Make copies of supportive documentation and mail your dispute to the credit reporting agency reporting the error(s). Mail your dispute letter & enclosures via certified mail - return receipt to: 

Trans Union
Consumer Disclosure Center
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022-2000

Disputes: (800) 916-8800 

Complaint Department
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374

Disputes: (866) 349-5191

Fraud Assistance Service Center: (888) 873-5420  

P.O. Box 4500
Allen, TX 75013

Disputes: (800) 583-4080

Disputes: (866) 200-6020

Lexis Nexis Customer Center
P.O. Box 105108
Atlanta, GA 30348

Disputes: (888) 497-0011 

Step 3: Initiate dispute with the furnisher

Contact the furnisher of the inaccurate information. Use the FTC's sample complaint letter to use to dispute inaccurate information with providers. 

Step 4: Wait for response

Credit reporting agencies must investigate disputes made by consumers. Thirty (30) days after the dispute is initiated, credit reporting companies are required (by law) to provide consumers with the results. The results should be accompanied by a free credit report. If the disputed is not resolved, consider seeking legal action.